88 Days Farming

It is my first-week doing farm work. That absolutely glamorous work which for sure is killing my back. Kills everyone's back in fact.
If someone does not already know, I am doing it to get the 2nd year visa. It is amazing how far you are able to go only to get one more year in one country.
But believe or not, I would have done the farm work anyways (for couple days or so), counting the 88 days or not. Because I think it is a great way getting to know the real Australian work ethics etc. ;)



What IF my back gets worse?

Every day I am out there at the farm, I surprise myself.
Because I never thought, that I would be even able to do that kind of farm work I am now doing.
Yes, at the same time I am also very scared to make something structurally worse in my back. I do not even know if that is possible, because I have not received one same answer from any doctors.
One says, that there is always a risk to make it worse.
The other one says, that because it has not got worse for months, it should not get worse later on either. -- But then again, the one who said this, said it already on August (2017), and then it went worse a few months later on November.
The third one says, that if it goes worse, it can happen at any point, having bad luck it can happen even when getting up from the sofa.
So I have taken the conclusion, that there is always the small tiniest possibility, that it might get worse.
I mean, after all, that is what the latest doctor told me.

And I mean, they would not tell me the red flag symptoms, if there would not be even the tiniest possibility to make it worse... Right?



The true benefit of weightlifting

But anyway, for some reason I really like that job (I do not know if I should say love it, but let's not go that far yet).
I think it is not the hardest, even though physically it is very hard and demanding. Even my roommates told, that the job I am working in, is one of the hardest ones physically.
I guess moments like these are the ones when I am thankful that I got back to weightlifting in June. The real advantage of weightlifting is being able to work at the farm. ;) Or makes it physically a little bit easier. Doing the same movement as when doing deadlift for 8-10 hours a day.



Farm work general stuff

We have a break once every 2 hours.
It is a small break (a maximum of 10 minutes), and there is not really time to eat proper lunch. Especially if (and when) toilet break is needed, as there is only one toilet for (usually) 15 workers.
Even our supervisor is working, so one huge plus is, that there is not someone breathing your neck all the time.

Getting sunburned is a huge problem. Even when using sunscreen, and even though it would be raining, the sun is still there. Brutally burning your skin. Always there waiting for the next victim with white European skin. :))
Long sleeve shirts are hot (even though they are made to that kind of job, and are made with cooling fabric), but still, sometimes those long sleeve shirts are the only one to wear, because of already looking like a crab. As in skin color.

I burned my legs. Yes, indeed, legs. I cannot remember the last time I have burnt my legs, and I even had 50+ sunscreen on and also reapplied it. Obviously did not reapply often enough, so now I am wearing capris instead of shorts. And yes, it is hot.



The works make you dirty.
Covered in red-brown sand, and looking like you are bleeding.
And I mean, the color does not go anywhere from the clothes. So I am almost like 100 % sure, that once I have done my farm work, I have at least three times lighter bag (and fewer bags) compared to when I came here. Just because I will throw all the dirty clothes away.



The work is something where we all need to stand in a very awkward posture for 8-10h a day. That for sure makes it sure, that our bodies are wrecked after the workday.
No, there is nothing to do for the standing position. Unfortunately. The only option is getting used to it, and relieve the pain when getting back to the hostel. -- wheat packs, hot gels, cold packs, pain medications... Whatever each one of us finds the best way to make own body ready for the next day.

Oh, and did I already mention, that our shuttle bus to work leaves at 4.30am, which means that the alarm is ringing at 3.30am (at least mine is), so there is enough time to eat breakfast, finish the snack prepping to work etc.
The shuttle leaves sharply at 4.30am. If late, then it is $10.
Then we go to work, sit there for half an hour waiting that it gets brighter, and we could actually see what we are cutting.



You can always do a little better

And hey, you are never perfect.
I am telling you.
Never.
You will get some "how to do this even better" instructions every day.
If you are not used to it, it might sound like a very strict and bitchy way to tell things.
For me that is ok. I think we are never perfect in anything, so it is only a good thing getting some new instructions on how to be even better than the day before. :)

BUT we have received a lot of positive comments from our supervisor. Saying, that we are doing amazing work, as we have always done a little more than the last workday.



Unfortunately, the work is not for everyone, and some people quit pretty fast.
The girl who started at the same time as me, walked the second workday away from the farm. Just like that. Did not say anything to anyone.
The thing I only wondered was, that how did she get away from the farm? Took a taxi? Because the shuttle bus comes only when our supervisor calls the driver, that we are ready to go.

Negative experiences, or just a negative attitude?

Anyway, I heard a lot of negative comments about this hostel I am staying in, as well as the work in Bundaberg in general. And I cannot help myself, just wonder, where those comments come from?
Because so far I am really enjoying my stay.
Everyone literally told me, that working hostels are something everyone should avoid, but based on my experience so far, I would recommend this hostel to anyone. I got a job in 2 days, hourly paid, I have nice roommates (in total 6 people in the room).
Yeah, the work is hard, but I think all farm work is. And the hostel has strict rules, but you need to have those rules because some people start work at 4.30am...



Anyways, here is a bit different post than the previous ones.
In fact I am also doing gym training. So those who told me, that I will not have the energy to go the gym after work, well you were wrong. :D
I am not going every day, I am going when I feel that my body is ready.
Having demanding work for my back means, that I need to listen to my body.
Yes, I would love to go to the gym every day, and I would definitely have energy, but when I have pain, it means I need to wait. Especially if I have work the next day as well.



Cheers!
I will continue calculating my days down from 88.
Currently, 4/88 done. Day 88 feels being so far away, but time flies very fast once getting used to the daily routine. So I am sure it does not feel so long after a few weeks. :)

Kommentit

Tämän blogin suosituimmat tekstit

Indian medicine - Ayurveda clinic

Victim of online sexual abuse

2 years in pain