Plastic straw scandal

Let's face the truth, this straw scandal has reached the point where people are going crazy when even seeing one straw. On the other hand, at the other extreme, there are people who do not care about this whole thing at all and annoys those who care about the environment more than they care for themselves.

But let's think this in the face of the disabilities.
There has been a lot, I mean a lot, discussions about how plastic straws are not the one and only option. That it is just an excuse, and there is nothing to explain why plastic straws might actually be useful for someone.
People who tend to say things like these are not thinking this whole plastic straw thing more deeply. I know how nice it is to think, that with removing all plastic straws the world is saved and a better place to live. And that anyone who is against this ban is a just ignorant person. It is super nice to think, that everything is so simple as that. But it is not.



Yes, there are other options for plastic straws, but the truth is, that none of those are as good as plastic one.

AND before anyone starts to hate me, throw some kind of tantrum, send me angry messages how I am just trying to destroy our beautiful planet, and block me from all the social media channels... Let me explain this first. And after you have read everything from start to end, feel free to comment, and tell your better world saving alternative for the plastic straws.

Glass/metal straws

Simply said, that just does not work out. At all. I mean glass straws are beautiful, super beautiful, what a great alternative for plastic ones. You can even use those twice, or even three times, you can wash them after every use, and use it for years!
Great alternative for the people who do not have any disabilities.

The truth is, that in hot beverages these straws tend to get too hot. And vice versa, in cold beverages too cold. What is even worse? The fact, that those beautiful creatures are not flexible!
Someone with disabilities might need to hire a helper to help them drink with those straws. Awesome idea.



Paper straw

OMG, I know! Everyone is trying to prove that paper one is as good as a plastic one!
It will not get too hot or cold. But what it does, is that it will break more easily. And also, unfortunately, paper straw is not meant for hot beverages. There is a specific temperature for paper straws, and it will not handle warmer beverages.

So what I am trying to prove here is, that the alternative has to be suitable for all the beverages. There has to be zero allergic reaction or a choking possibility. It also has to be flexible. Silicone straw is one of the best options I have been reading from disability blogs. But unfortunately, even some silicon straws are not flexible enough. And there comes another problem with reusable straws: not all disabled people have a dishwasher. This sounds like a very simple thing for healthy people "just wash with hands." Have you ever had so hard work day, that you have just gone directly to sleep? Being just too tired to do anything else than maybe go to the shower and wash your teeth... Well many disabled people feel like that all the time, so washing dishes is not always an option.

If you have a great idea, tell me, tell the whole world. ;)


A time before straws

"But how did disabled people survive before plastic straws?"
Usually, healthy people find this argument super fun, and be like "yeah, that's right!"
The unfortunate, sad fact is, that they did not survive.

See beyond the general point of view

I understand, that people without disabilities might not understand this issue.
I can see this, I can understand this, I also understand the environmental side of view. But I will rather put myself in someone's shoes who is not heard well enough anyway.
I can understand because I have a neurological condition called Essential Tremors. Which is also often classified as a disability.
Mine is not that bad, but thanks for the Facebook support groups I have met an absolutely amazing people who are really struggling in a daily basis. For example, they cannot drink anything without using a straw.
So I can see beyond my own opinions, I can see beyond the "plastic straws need to be destroyed" viewpoint, because I can imagine myself in the same situation.



For some of us, people with any disability, straws are the one and only way they can drink anything.
Have you ever done so good workout, that afterward your hands are shaking?
Have you felt so nervous, that your hands have started to shake?
Imagine that shakiness to be there all the time.
Next time try to eat when you are shaking, try to drink from the glass. And you might get the feeling what is it on a daily basis.
Just add the head shaking there as well, and you might understand why the straw has to be flexible.



So people with tremors, or other disabilities which interfere with drinking (and eating), even if we really want to save our planet. Believe or not, we really want it as much as anyone else.
But we also want to make our life a bit easier, because it is hard enough already now.
And unfortunately for now, before science has found a better option, the plastic straws are lifesavers for many people with disabilities.

Next time you see someone buying plastic straws, or taking one in McDonald's, do not look so angrily at them.
Thanks for understanding.



Ps. If you need to know, I am just telling, that I do not even use straws.
But I would use if I would need them.

The best video I found on YouTube to explain what is it like with ET, and I totally agree with this guy. I feel completely the same! :D


Kommentit

Tämän blogin suosituimmat tekstit

Indian medicine - Ayurveda clinic

Victim of online sexual abuse

2 years in pain